Our Heritage

The Marquis of Ripon agreed to lend some land at Studley Park to an enthusiastic group of gentlemen from the Ripon area for the purposes of playing some golf in 1891. The Marquis was appointed President of the new club and his vice was Earl Grey.

In 1893 one Harry Vardon was the club’s professional before taking up a better offer at Bury GC the following year. From these small beginnings, golf in the Ripon area moved on to the land off Palace Road in 1908 and Ripon City Golf Club was established.

There were various attempts at creating an 18-hole course in the 20th Century but this proved difficult and the nine holes of Ripon City subsisted until 1993 when the second nine was added together with no less than 150 additional members from the long and distinguished waiting list.

Just before the arrival of the current century, the new clubhouse was completed, replacing the friendly wooden construction that was showing serious signs fatigue after many fine decades of service.

As part of the club’s centenary year in 2008, renowned course architect Howard Swann was engaged to carry out a full audit of the golf facility, and a Course Policy Document produced and adopted by the club.

Now, more than halfway through the proposed development, the course has seen fantastic changes in recent years, and Ripon City can justifiably claim to be the most improved course in Yorkshire.
Book a Tee Time
Ready to book? Our booking system will make it easy for you.
Course Status
Currently open
11.09.2017 10:23
No Restrictions
Calendar
Loading the Calendar...